Last few days I spent most of the time on my personal development to learn and understand about Windows Powershell; Microsoft new scripting language. I’ve not being used any scripting language extensively. But now I understand how much power will bring to a DBA by learning this kind of a scripting language.
You may be thinking why do you need a scripting language while having most powerful user friendly GUIs in Windows. Ok. I also thought the same way before I learning Powershell.
There are couple of reasons why you should use Powershell. I’m sure there are many more;
- Automate database administrative tasks
- Easy to use than GUI. Especially when dealing with remote SQL Servers.
- Improve language skills as a DBA
- To complete a task quickly
- Get machine level information. (e.g: Memory, Storage, BIOS, etc)
You can start Powershell in different ways;
1. Start -> Run -> Type CMD
In command prompt type "powershell"